A student will move into Academic Suspension if:
- He or she earns less than a 2.00 semester grade-point average while on Academic Warning.
Students on Academic Suspension:
- May not schedule courses at the University for two consecutive semesters.
- (Summer Session Note: Summer session is equal to one semester and includes all courses offered after spring semester and before fall semester)
- Will have enrollment for upcoming semesters canceled.
- (ex. Students suspended due to fall grades will have their spring schedule canceled)
- Must apply for re-enrollment if they choose to return to the University after two semesters.
- Return in a status of Academic Warning if re-enrolled.
A student who has been placed on academic suspension two times and fails to achieve at least a 2.00 semester GPA is subject to academic dismissal and is no longer permitted to take courses at the University. (Faculty Senate Policy 54-50)
After Receiving the Academic Suspension Notification:
1. Complete the following forms and keep copies for future meetings:
- Academic Progress Meeting Form
- Self-Reflection Survey
2. Contact an advisor:
- Clarify any questions about the policy
- Reflect on factors that led to warning and suspension
- Develop goals for time away from Penn State
- Discuss re-enrollment at Penn State or other goals
3. Contact other offices utilized as a student:
- If receiving financial aid, Office of Student Aid (https://studentaid.psu.edu/)
- If living on campus, Residence Life (http://studentaffairs.psu.edu/reslife/)
- If using the PSU Student Health Insurance Plan, UHS (http://studentaffairs.psu.edu/health/)
- Other offices
Re-enrollment after Academic Suspension:
Students whose most recent college of enrollment was Arts and Architecture prior to moving into Academic Suspension should apply for re-enrollment through the same college. If a student is considering another program, the Arts and Architecture college advisor will discuss goals and connect with other offices as necessary as part of the re-enrollment process.
The following should be done at the same time:
1. Apply for re-enrollment the semester prior to your planned return. The application for re-enrollment is available on the Office of the University Registrar website. To return for the:
- Spring semester, apply by the end of November
- Summer semester, apply by the end of March
- Fall semester, apply by the end of June
2. Complete the followng (print and keep a copy for your records after completing):
- Returning from Suspension Survey
After the Returning from Suspension Survey has been submitted, the Arts and Architecture college advisor (Jonathan Colón, firstname.lastname@example.org) will contact you to discuss your planned return.
- If approved for re-enrollment, students return from suspension in Academic Warning status with a registration hold and their former cumulative GPA.